Standard precautions should be taken to protect against sharps injuries.
There are five main ways for employers to meet their statutory duty of care:
- Eliminate the unnecessary use of sharps by implementing changes in practice and on the basis of the results of a risk assessment.
- Specify and implement safe procedures for the use and disposal of sharp medical instruments and contaminated waste.
- Provide medical devices that incorporate safety-engineered protection mechanisms.
- Protect employees with Personal Protective Equipment.
- Ban the practice of re-sheathing or recapping with immediate effect.